Brian decided that we should get the heating ducts in the house cleaned. Who knows when the last time they were cleaned and we have been getting a lot of dust in the house and his allergies have been acting up. It was scheduled for Saturday at 3:00pm. Fine, Brian would be home and he could deal with it.
Saturday morning Brian went golfing and sure enough, the cleaning people called. They had a timeslot open right then and were in the area so could they come by now? Sure I said. I called Brian to ask if he had any directions for me to follow and he said they would know what to do.
Three guys show up and hook up tubes to the heating vents and climb up into the attic where the heater is. One of the guys takes out the filter to the air return and it is caked in dirt and crap. Even I know it didn't look good. He tells me it is supposed to be changed every 4-6 months. Wow, that is a lot I'm thinking. Never fear...he has a state of the art air filter that has a lifetime warranty. Instead of taking it out and throwing it away, you just take it out, spray it down with the hose and put it back. Perfect I think, we'll never have to buy a filter again! Even, better...it's only $100. Great, I think a new filter is about $30 so in the long run, we'll save money.
This is what I learned...at the most, air filters are $10. The kind we get is about $4. I have now been told, we have to live in this house for 12.5 years to make my investment worthwhile. I say screw it, we'll just take it with us when we move!
Moral of the story...I am not allowed to be home when service people come anymore. Hey, at least I didn't agree to let them take apart the heater and clean it. They wanted to charge me $600 to do that and even I thought that was crazy! :)
1 comment:
Good news is you'll never have to wait all day for a repair man!!!
Post a Comment