Friday, January 15, 2010

Goodbye Y&R

There it is, in the number one spot on my DVR!


Good-Bye friend!


It's a sad day for me. I just took my soap opera, The Young and the Restless off of our DVR. After 15 years (holy cow!) of watching the soap, the story line has gotten too ridiculous even for me. As sad as it is, this soap has been a big part of my life for quite some time. It started in 1995 when I would actually set the VCR every day to tape the show. I would have to remember to rewind the tape so I wouldn't run out of space half way through the show and more importantly, I had to make sure not to tape over one of my dad's car races that he hadn't watched yet! It was a big deal when we got a new VCR that I could set to tape the show every week without me having to set it every day! (How did we survive before DVR?) In college Jennie and Paige were subjected to watching it on Wednesday nights during our weekly Mary's Pizza Dinners. They would laugh because I would fast forward through half of the show and could still tell them what was happening. It has sparked numerous conversations with co-workers and acquaintences who have also watched the show from time-to-time. I've even had conversations with people telling them about something one of my friends just did, just to realize it wasn't a friend of mine but actually a character on my soap!

So, goodbye Y&R. It's been a great 15 years but it is now time for me to move on. Maybe I'll come back to visit my favorite families in Genoa City from time to time but for now, adios to the Newman's, Abbott's, Chancelor's and Neil's.




2 comments:

Bill and Paige said...

WHAT! OMG...I can't believe it! What a sad day. The story line must be bad bqc it was bad 10 yrs ago and you still watched it:)

Anonymous said...

I remember the VCR drama, especially with Dad's race tapes (Yes, he still has them. Even the one that say's "You touch, you're dead meat"}. Great decision!
Love, Mom