Monday, November 26, 2007

When will I be a grown up?

I've gotten used to people thinking that I'm younger than I really am over the years. I've also been told "later in life you will be so happy that you look longer than your age." This morning however, I'm fed up with people thinking I'm 12!

I was talking to a lady this morning about possibly having her wedding here at Sebastiani. About 2 minutes into the conversation she flat out asks me how old I am! I reply "excuse me?" She continues to say that I sound way too young to be working at a winery and she thinks I'm still in high school. I tell her that I did in fact graduate from college and I've been working at Sebastiani for quite some time. I never did tell her how old I was. Perhaps I should have asked her how old she was and what took her so long to get married because she sounded around 40!

I sometimes wonder when I will actually feel like a grown-up. When your a kid, you play the game "grown-up" and you imagine the day when you are no longer a kid. Somehow, I don't think that day ever came for me. I am now married, own a house, have a "real" job, pay my own bills and we're about to have a baby. I think that qualifies me as a grown-up. However, I am more excited about going to Disneyland this weekend and seeing Mickey, hanging out with Paige and goofing off and counting down the days until Christmas! All of those things sound much more fun than paying the mortgage, cleaning the bathrooms and going to work.

Perhaps being a grown-up is overrated. The next time someone asks me how old I am or comments on how young I look, I think I will reply: "I'm still just a kid and enjoying every moment of it!"

4 comments:

Bill and Paige said...

Too funny about that lady. You should have asked her how old she was and why it took her so long to get married:)

I think you have the right attitude about being a kid. I too am VERY exciting about seeing mickey with a santa hat on this weekend. We're gonna have sooo much fun acting like we're 12.

Unfortunaltey the real world and being a grown up will kick in quickly when we get our credit card bill from this weekend!! Oh well, all the more reason to enjoy it why we can:)

Anonymous said...

Being grown-up is very overrated. It's no fun being 27 and thinking about retirement.

Have fun in dih-ney-land. If I pin a ticket to my wife's shirt and drop her off at the airport, can she go with?

Anonymous said...

Being grown-up is very overrated. It's no fun being 27 and thinking about retirement.

Have fun in dih-ney-land. If I pin a ticket to my wife's shirt and drop her off at the airport, can she go with?

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately for you we learn a lot about life from our parents. Since your Mom prefers Pediatrics, holidays (especially Halloween!) and of course Disneyland (where everyone is a kid) you are doomed. I hope I never fully grow up.
Love, Mom