Saturday, September 27, 2008

Explain this to me....

I'm a little confused about organic clothes. I get the whole organic food idea, it's better for you, not full of chemicals and pesticides, etc. I understand how it works and why there is a demand for that type of item. What I don't understand it organic clothes.

While I was shopping at Target today I needed to get Andrew some bigger onesies. There I was looking at all the various onesies trying to figure out the differences between them all. Some were tag less, some had more snaps then others, they had different styles of neck openings. And here I thought a onesie was a onesie!

OK, back to the organic issue. What exactly is organic about the clothes? Was the cotton grown organically, is the packaging organic, did the person who sewed the onesie have an organic lunch? What exactly certifies a non-food item as organic? And...if I wash these organic clothes in non-organic laundry detergent, are the clothes now non-organic?

4 comments:

Bill and Paige said...

Let me know when you find out! I am especially interested in washing organic clothes in non-organic detergent!

So, did you end up buying the organic onesies?

Michelle Wing said...

Of course I bought the organic ones! Only the best for my little guy. They are going to be washed in non-organic laundry soap though so I don't know if they can still be considered organic. (Plus, they were on sale and $1 less than the non-organic ones!)

kkp1220 said...

LOL!!!

My guess is you need some sort of gimmic soap too;-)

Anonymous said...

This is what I learned about organic clothes. They can be cotton, hemp, bamboo, and some are partially made up of recycled soda bottles. The organic cotton is raised without the harsh pesticides and fertilizers. A lot of organic brands also pride themselves on the good working conditions of the people who make the clothes. It's all part of the eco-friendly revolution.

Thanks for giving me some inspiration to learn something new today.

Love Ya,
Karla