Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Receptionist...not in my future!

If you are ever in the position of hiring a receptionist, do not select me as your person. I'm filling in today for 30 minutes at reception and I am completely stressed out. When they asked me this morning if I could help out I figured sure, how hard could it be? I will tell you how hard it can be:
  • I've hung up on one person who I was trying to transfer to another desk! Thank goodness they were nice to me when they called back and I confessed I didn't know what I was doing.
  • I didn't know how to put someone on hold so I just put the phone down on the desk and ran to the next room to get the information they needed!
  • An employee came up to the desk to ask a question and I had no clue what they were even talking about let alone where to send them for their answer!
  • I can't get the stamp machine to work and the post office guy is supposed to be here soon. Oh well, I hope none of this needs to go out today!
  • I have 7 minutes left of my shift, let's hope I make it!

4 comments:

The DeShazers said...

Sounds like a fun day! AT least you got to update your blog!

Ali C. said...

that must be some very intricate phone system. sounds yikes.

Bill and Paige said...

make sure you add that to your resume!

Karla and Brian said...

It's all about multitasking and the only way you find out how to answer everyone's questions is experience. Every receptionist's first day is exactly like that! Pat yourself on the back you survived!