Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Andrew's Kindergarten Letter

Dear Andrew,

Today you start Kindergarten.  From the moment you were born, we've been counting down to this day.  In five years you'll be in school....in two years you'll be in school....next year, you will be in school....next month....next week....tomorrow.  Now the time is here.  You have your backpack, lunch box, school supplies and you are ready to go.

This is the start of your education.  I still remember my first day of school and I am sure you will remember yours. Daddy and I have done our best to prepare you for school but there are a few key things I want you to remember:
  • Learn more than just math and science - school is a great place to learn.  You will learn about dinosaurs, the planets (as far as I'm concerned, Pluto got a bad deal), how to count and how to read.  But more importantly, you will learn how to be an individual.  Some things you will do better than your classmates and other things you won't.  That's ok, everyone is different.  Help your friends when they need it and ask for help when you need it.  Needing help doesn't make you weak.  Not asking for help when you need it does.
  • Celebrate everyone.  Your school will be filled with all different kinds of people.  Some may look different, talk different or come from a different type of family.  All of these difference make the world a better place.  Life would be boring if everyone was exactly like you.  Learn from your friends and honor their differences. Heroes do not tease people for their differences, they celebrate them. 
  • Speak up.  The most famous people in the world are just that because they said what was in their mind.  Speak up for yourself and for those that can't.  (Just don't talk back to mommy and daddy!).
  • Explore the world.  So many new things are going to be shown to you this year.  Embrace the opportunity to learn and try new things.  Explore in the safe environment of school and everything it has to offer.  I hope you never get tired of learning new things.
  • Fave fun!  There is no better time in your life than what you are living right now.  Ask any adult and they would give anything to go back to Kindergarten.  Enjoy every moment and make the most of it.  Recess is fun.  Enjoy it!
I don't care if you are the smartest, most popular kid in your class.  Throughout school, there will be hundreds of tests, contests and races.  It doesn't matter to me if you are picked first for the team or last (although I do know that it hurts to be picked last).  None of those things will make Daddy and I love you any more than we already do.  You have completely stolen my heart already and there is nothing you could do to take that away.

My biggest goal for you as you start school and shape your future is to learn how to be an individual and stand up for your beliefs.  The most important lesson you can learn is bravery.  Being brave isn't something you are born with, it is something that you learn and a decision that you make.  It means that having compassion for someone else and confidence in yourself is more important than fitting in with the crowd.  It means that you follow your heart and stay true to your beliefs.  

Have fun my little man.  I can't wait to see what you have in store for the world.  Today I write you a letter for Kindergarten and I know tomorrow it will be for your college graduation.  Every day I am going to work on slowing down time but while I do...have fun.  Daddy and I are always here to support you and we are so proud of you.

Love,
Mommy

P.S. - Don't ever stop asking me for a hug and a kiss when I drop you off for school!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Andrew is so eager to learn he is sure to have a great school experience. You guys have done a great job with his education so far. He learns the most from actions and you both have shown him how to be a good person.
Love, Gma